Since what I am intending to do is create an entirely new piece of film from an already established ‘Work Of Art’ is important that very different things are done regarding the process of making the film, so that it stands on it’s own. Part of that is creating situations that are either funny, terrifying, moving, or erotic in an attempt to distance itself from the source material, as the original film’s plot is already so well known. How can a film be totally unique and different when it is essentially just a remake of an older, very well-known film? By using the same creative process that musicians implement when they ‘cover’ an already famous or appreciated song or work of music we can create something that is very strangely ‘all it’s own’.
Part of my artistic and creative process then is to make Home Alone: The Remake my own work of art, despite the fact we will be using the same script and the same shots as the original. But, there are things that can be changed that are not spoken of in the script.
In the original script not every scene was described in full and not every character’s body language was described in full. So, in an attempt to create as absurd and weird an experience as possible and yet maintain the same integrity to the script as used in the original, some rules will be observed by all actors within the film. Here they are:
The Absurdist Rules of Home Alone: The Remake
- Any character over the age of ten must walk sluggishly, as if life has become hard on them and they have lost their spirit.
- Any character age ten or younger must walk ‘very deliberately’ ie, stomping each step as they walk.
- Every character must have their hands in their pocket as if they are saying I DONT CARE or up in the air as if they are yelling WHAT THE FUCK?? unless the script says otherwise or they are required to use their hands for a scene.
This creates a very intense atmosphere with false tension.
- Certain characters will be required to do bizarre things with their social interactions. For example: Buzz never makes eye contact and always stares ‘Off Set’ unless it is against the script.
- Every character is required to wear a green or red dress shirt or sweater. If the character has on a sweater they must wear a white turtleneck underneath the sweater. Every character must have on khakis or a skirt with white tights. Every character must wear brown shoes. Every character must have their hair down, except for buzz. - All of these are obviously: Unless the script says otherwise.
- Uncle Frank will be played by a puppet, various other characters may also be played by puppets.
- The robbers must always look the opposite direction of whatever they are doing with their hands.
- When Kevin eats anything he only opens his mouth a few centimeters and forces the food or drink through.
- Kevin’s father is magical, items come towards him without him having to extend his reach.
- The film within the film, Angels With Filthy Souls, will be filmed in Black and White just as in the original film, but, it will be entirely dubbed in post production rather than capturing in camera the audio.
- The Pizza Delivery boy has to run everywhere, and when he is required to stand, he must run in place.